Got heavy furniture on top of your carpeted flooring? You might probably notice some unsightly carpet dents. These dents and blemishes are hardly noticeable until you rearrange tables and other furnishings. Good thing, there are quick tricks that will fix this common carpet problem.
In this article, we will teach you how you can remove carpet indentations and bring those carpet fibers back to their original condition.
Use Your Vacuum Cleaner
When the carpet fibers get flattened, your vacuum cleaner will help them get fluffy again. This is a less invasive solution that will bring your carpet back to life. Follow the following tips to clean and unflatten your carpets:
- Loosen up the carpet fibers using your finger.
- Attach the hose to your vacuum cleaner and apply suction to the matted area of your carpet.
- Repeat until the indentations are no longer noticeable.
Place Several Ice Cubes
The ice trick is effective in fixing furniture dents in carpets. The moisture from the melting ice cube gives the carpet fibers time to swell and fluff up. With just four simple steps, you can eliminate those dents and even out your carpet and area rugs.
- Place an ice cube in the carpet dent. Let it melt for a few hours and up to 12 for deeper dents. It may take even longer depending on the severity of the dented carpet area.
- Blot the excess water using an absorbent towel or sponge. Repeat until the carpet is slightly damp.
- Use a spoon or your fingers to lift the flattened carpet fibers.
- Let the area dry completely or use a hair blow dryer for faster results. After this, the carpet dent has vanished.
Don’t worry when trying out this “set it and forget it” method because it won’t harm you carpet in any way. Most carpets can handle the moisture from the melting ice cube without any issues. Just make sure to dry the wet spots once the ice cubes have melted.
Bring Out Your Hair Blow Dryer
A traditional hair blow dryer and a spray bottle full of water will restore your carpet fibers into their original bounce. The blow dryer can do for your carpet the same thing it does to your hair. It can add volume and remove any annoying flat areas.
- Spray the area with water to saturate the fibers.
- Use a handheld hair dryer and set it at the hottest setting. To avoid burning the fibers, hold the hairdryer 4 to 6 inches away from the carpet.
- While letting the carpet dry, use your fingers to fluff it up.
Apply Heat Using a Clothes Iron
Similar to your hair blow dryer, a steam iron will help in loosening up the fibers. You can apply heat to the carpeted area where heavy furniture is left standing. Here’s how you can do the trick:
- Grab a clean cloth and soak it with water.
- Lay it over the carpeted area that needs to be fluffed up.
- Fire up a steam iron and hold it at least 15 centimeters above the dent.
- Don’t forget to set your iron to a low or medium heat setting to avoid burning.
- Run the clothes iron over the towel for about thirty seconds to a minute until the carpet becomes moist.
- Work the carpet fibers back and forth with a fork or the edge of a coin.
- Repeat the process as necessary.
When doing this method, don’t let the iron touch the carpet directly. You run the risk of burning your carpets and causing major damage.
Have Your Carpet Professionally Cleaned
If your carpets are full of dirt and dust, fluffing up becomes more difficult. The most effective way to remove indentations is to hire a professional carpet cleaner. They are trained to take them from dull to fluffy and fresh. When you work with a carpet cleaning company, you can remove the furniture marks and dirt as well.
Schedule Your Carpet Cleaning With Us
Your carpets play a huge role in keeping your home as comfortable as possible. It’s important to make sure that you remove tell-tale dents left by table legs and other furniture.
If you need help in keeping your carpets fresh and neat, reach out to us at Carpet Cleaning Pros of Lancaster. We do our very best when it comes to cleaning your rugs and upholstery.
Get first-class services from our highly trained carpet experts. We will renew the beauty of your carpeted space!
Have any questions? Give us a call today to schedule a consultation with our team. We will answer any concerns you may have!